This course will introduce experienced SQL Server users/administrators with a solid introduction to the new features in SQL Server 2016.
Who's it for?
The course is designed for existing database professionals, with experience of SQL Server 2014, that want to update their skills to SQL Server 2016. It will also help prepare existing SQL Server 2014 MCSAs for the upgrade exam for the SQL Server 2016 certification.
After attending this course a delegate should be able to describe the key capabilities and components of SQL Server 2016 and understand the new and enhanced features in:
- SQL Server performance
- SQL Server security
- availability and scalability
- reporting and PowerBI
- data access
- SQL Server OLAP
- cloud functionality.
Attendees should have experience of:
- building and managing database, data warehouse and business intelligence (BI) solutions with SQL Server 2014
- the Windows Server 2012 R2 operating system and networking
- Microsoft Excel and Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013.
Module 1: Introduction to SQL Server 2016
- Overview of SQL Server 2016
- SQL Server 2016 editions and components
- Installing SQL Server 2016
- SQL Server Management Studio enhancements
- Lab: Installing SQL Server 2016
Module 2: What’s New in SQL Server performance
- Columnstore Indexes for operational analytics
- In-memory OLTP enhancements
- The Query Data Store
- Temporal tables
- Lab: Implementing SQL Server 2016 performance improvements
Module 3: What’s new in SQL Server security?
- Using Always Encrypted
- Row-level security
- Dynamic data masking
- Lab: Implementing SQL Server 2016 security improvements
Module 4: What’s new in SQL Server availability and scalability?
- Enhanced AlwaysOn availability groups
- What’s new in database caching?
- Using Windows Server 2016
- Lab: Availability and scalability with SQL Server 2016
Module 5: What’s new in SQL Server reporting and BI
- Reporting Services enhancements
- PowerBI enhancements
- Lab: Implementing PowerBI
Module 6: What’s new in SQL Server data access?
- Enhancements to integration services
- Lab: Using PolyBase
Module 7: New and enhanced features in SQL Server OLAP
- New and enhanced features in SQL Server OLAP
- What’s new in SQL Server Analysis Services
- Lab: OLAP with SQL Server
Module 8: What’s new for SQL Server in the cloud?
- Stretch Database
- Enhanced backups to Azure
- Introduction to SQL Server 2016 hybrid cloud
- What’s new in SQL Server Azure database
- Lab: Using SQL Server in a hybrid cloud
To obtain course venues/dates and pricing please email your account manager, submit the enquiry form below or call us on 0845 647 0000*.